These poptarts are loaded with cookie dough, pumpkin, and sprinkles. What's not to love?!
2 cups flour
1/2 cup shortening (I used Earth Balance)
3-5 Tbsp of ice water (or more)
2 tsp salt
1 tub cookie dough (any flavor)
3-4 Tbsp pumpkin puree (optional, you can just use cookie dough if you want but that's not as fun)
1. Mix the cookie dough with the pumpkin puree, and place in refrigerator until ready to fill tarts. (that was an easy step right?)
For the tart dough:
1. Combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, or 2 knives, cut the shortening into the flour until it resembles course sand. Then add the water 2 Tbsp at a time til the dough forms. Be sure not to use too much water, it makes your dough less appealing and tasty.
2. Flour a level surface and roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter, cut into 5x5" rectangles.
3. Remove filling from fridge and place about 2 Tbsp or more of filling onto every other rectangle (I say every other so because you're leaving a lid for each tart). This is a great time to turn your oven on to pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
4. Place the unfilled rectangular pieces of tart dough on top of each one that has filling. Press the edges down first using your fingers to seal the tart together. Then, using a fork press firmly down all around the edges. Transfer to baking sheets using a large spatula.
5. Bake for 25 minutes in your pre-heated oven.
6. Let completely cool.
7. Coat each poptart with a nice layer of Frost'd frosting (or your own vegan frosting recipe) and lots of sprinkles!!!