I love Fall. And I especially love pie.
1 Pie Crust:
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup earth balance buttery spread
pinch of nutmeg
4 large pears, peeled and sliced thiny
1 cup vegan sour cream (I used Follow Your Heart)
1/2 granulated sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 heaping Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 earth balance buttery spread, cut into small cubes
1/2 brown sugar
1/4 cup snickerdoodle or chocolate chip cookie dough *optional but, really, this is a good option
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. First you'll want to make the pie crust. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Then add the earth balance and cut in with a pastry cutter or 2 knives (that's what I use) until the dough resembles course sand. Then add 2 Tbsp of water and combine with your hands. Add more water (one Tbsp at a time) as needed, but you don't want to add too much. There should still be a bit of flour on the bottom of your bowl that you need to press into the dough. Roll the dough out into a circular form on a floured surface, using a rolling pin. Then fold in half to transfer to your pie dish. Form crust design as you wish...I usually crimp the crust by pinching it with my middle and index fingers.
2. Then on to the filling. In a large bowl mix your pears with all the filling ingredients. Fill your pie shell with the mixture, and set aside.
3. Pre-heat oven to 400F.
4. Make your crumb topping by mixing the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg first. Then cut in the cubed margarine and cookie dough using a pastry blender or two knives until the mix resembles coarse sand. Layer the crumb topping evenly on top of the pie.
5. Bake for 15 minutes at 400F. Then lower the temp to 350F and bake for another 45 minutes.
6. Let fully cool at room temperature and serve with coconut whip cream or vegan ice cream, YUMMY.