I adapted this recipe from a non-vegan recipe I had tucked away from years ago. This is probably my favorite pie of all time. Ok, I say that about a lot of pies, but I just can't get enough of them. I LOVE PIE!
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup earth balance buttery spread
pinch of nutmeg
5 organic granny smith apples (peeled, cored, and thinly sliced)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of all spice
1/3 vegan sour cream (we really like the Follow Your Heart brand)
1/3 cup cookie dough (I suggest Snickerdoodle, Sugar Momma, or regular Chocolate Chip)
1 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cold and cubed margarine (we use Earth Balance)
1/2 roughly chopped walnutsDirections:
1. For the pie crust
, mix all the dry ingredients together. Then add the earth balance and cut in with a pastry cutter or 2 knives (that's what I use) until the dough resembles course sand. Then add 2 Tbsp of water and combine with your hands. Add more water (one Tbsp at a time) as needed, but you don't want to add too much. There should still be a bit of flour on the bottom of your bowl that you need to press into the dough. Roll the dough out into a circular form on a floured surface, using a rolling pin. Then fold in half to transfer to your pie dish. Form crust design as you wish...I usually crimp the crust by pinching it with my middle and index fingers.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 450 F. Yeah, it's high but you'll lower it.
3. Make pie filling. Combine the apples, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Then add the sour cream and cookie dough to coat the apples with. In a smaller bowl combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and flour (stir so the flour mixture comes together). Add the flour mixture to your apple mixture and toss around with your hands or spoons til pretty well even.
4. Make crumb topping by putting the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon in a bowl. Then cut in your cubed margarine or put in a food processor until the margarine breaks up. Mix the walnuts in with a wooden spoon.
5. Fill your pie crust with the apple filling and top with the crumb topping.
6. Pop your pie in the oven at 450F for 15min. After that lower the temp to 350 F and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let completely cool before serving.
8. WOW, so good.